Recent Posts

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Milwaukee Shenanigans

This past weekend I went with my girls to Milwaukee. We had talked many months ago about spending a few days in the city around Summerfest and much to our surprise, we actually planned the trip and carried it out. Not an easy concept for three busy ladies, scattered around the state. 

After enjoying some fireworks and America festivities on 3rd, we headed out on our journey to Milwaukee on the 4th of July. We took a mild detour...actually no...we literally stopped on the side of the road for a sandwich picnic and found ourselves at the holy grail of outlet malls on a holiday that beckons additional percent off sales. So we shopped. 
And I mean shopped...

...four hours later, we got back in the car with our loot and made it to our hotel in the suburbs. The next morning we dined at the local smokehouse that had mac 'n cheese topped with pork. I've never considered pork a "topper" of sorts, but this dish makes me want to put it on anything...cereal...lasagna....you name it. 

After creating a little barbecue food baby, we headed to Bradford beach which was crawling with people. It was a beautiful day. Not too hot which, as we all know, means it was easy to stay outside and forget the sunscreen. Or in my case, put sun block on while you are sitting (because you don't want to get up because your girl friend convinced you to do lunges down the entire. hotel. hallway and you are ungodly sore), which means you only get the front of your body and random spots on your legs. Then, like an idiot, you turn over to read your book and creep on people through your shades (you know you do it), making the sun bake splotchy marks on your un-lotioned skin. And you may or may not look like a strawberry spotted cow. 



Then we went to Summerfest to see Nelly which may have been the best and worst concert I have ever been too. The crowds at Summerfest were mildly terrifying and there was a moment when I was stuffed between two very tall, very large men that I thought I would be compressed to death like those people who get trampled on Black Friday. And after seeing the girl fight from hell in the bathroom (seriously, I'm talking face smashing, lady chucking fight), being squished to death seemed like a pretty good alternative. 
But, our fearless leader lead us to a little space where we could breathe, somewhat avoid the massive amounts of dumped beer and do very small dance moves (which was all I was worried about). Nelly isn't much of an entertainer, but we decided quickly that when you have big muscles like that, you can just wear a sleeveless shirt and call it good. We sang, attempted to rap and kept an eye out for any angry girls throwing punches. 


My favorite part about the weekend was the Milwaukee Brewers game. It was my first time to Miller Park and I have to say, I'm a big fan. I'm happy to watch any sporting event that offers me a tailgating experience, because sunshine, Woodchuck, ladder golf, munchies and good friends is a recipe for pure happiness. With a great view and a strawberry long island, we happily ate our cheese curds in paper canoes, stood up with every fly ball like it was going over the fence, and basked in the beautiful weather. 




It was a great trip with lasting memories. And will hopefully be a yearly tradition. :)





0 comments:

Post a Comment