Recent Posts

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Polished

I had the honor of awarding that fine lady on my left today at a ceremony put on by the UNI Student Admissions Ambassadors. During the ceremony, ambassadors are asked to honor a member of the UNI community for making an impact and "polishing" them.
For me, that's Connie. And she is great.
I "met" Connie at my freshman orientation. That is quotes because, well, she met A LOT of people during orientation. All 3,500 of the freshman class so, she doesn't remember me. But boy, do I remember her.
I then began running into Connie throughout the course of my freshman year. Her family is at every UNI athletic event and I would consistently notice their insane passion for the panthers while I was cheering at the games. I also had a couple of meetings with her while I was working in the University Marketing & Public Relations office.
But, then one fine day, I applied to be a member of the official volunteer group for the UNI Alumni Association and found out this crazy lady was the advisor for the group.
I got in and began building a great relationship with this Connie.
She has supported me, advised me, invested in me and been a friend.
Connie inspired me to go to graduate school and is a model for the kind of professional I want to become: passionate, hard-working, genuine and enjoyable.
My favorite thing about Connie, is that she reminds me not to take myself to seriously. There is always time for laughing. And boy, do we laugh!
 I am grateful to be able to have another two years her.
Today was a great day, to honor a great woman.

0 comments:

Post a Comment